Received from European Society of Endodontology 18 November 2020.
The Belgian Healthcare Knowledge Centre has published evidence-based guidelines on the prudent prescription of antibiotics in the dental office.
Through the following link you can find the scientific report and the supplement with the search strategies:
This guideline was developed in close collaboration with dental professionals from the Belgian dental schools and from dental practices. Download short guide.
A systematic review of the literature was performed on the following frequent indications in the dental office:
1. Symptomatic irreversible pulpitis in primary teeth
2. Odontogenic abscess in primary teeth
3. Symptomatic irreversible pulpitis in permanent teeth
4. Symptomatic apical periodontitis in permanent teeth
5. Symptomatic acute apical abscess in permanent teeth
6. Replantation of avulsed permanent teeth
7. Periodontal treatment of aggressive periodontitis in the permanent dentition
8. Periodontal abscess in permanent teeth
9. Dental implant placement
10. Extraction of permanent teeth
11. Antibiotic prophylaxis in patients at (high) risk of infective endocarditis undergoing dental procedures
12. Antibiotic prophylaxis in patients with orthopaedic joint implants undergoing dental procedures
Professor Paul Dummer
President: European Society of Endodontology